Wednesday, October 3, 2012

"Lick and Lather" by Janine Antoni

Janine Antoni, I believe, is a brilliant thinker. For the most part, personally my art is spontaneous, spur of the moment; rarely do I have a back story, hidden meaning, a theme, driving my art along. For me, having pre-conceived thoughts of a piece is a hindrance. I get so wrapped up in making sure that the audience can clearly pick up on this meaning behind the piece, that it actually subtracts from me being able to fully express myself. But it seems like for Antoni, having that meaning to carry her along works. It seems to lift her up and provide her with muse, and its evident in her work that the message has as much meaning to her as her art does. It's admirable that she is able to create work that represents this message, and no matter how abstract the work may be, it is clear to the audience the connection(s) within the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment